Sunday, May 27, 2012

Jalapeño Poppers!

I love finding new products at the store. Like you would think I found the gold at the end of the rainbow if you saw how I jump up and down and get on about something new. My husband (luckily) finds it endearing that I get so excited and immediately have to purchase whatever I find! A week or so ago while grabbing a few harder to find vegan goodies at Rainbow Foods I spotted Galaxy Vegan Cream Cheese in the cooler so I gasped and bounced and ran to the cash with it. Once I got home, I couldn't decide what to try it on. First I wanted to make sure that it was tasty and see how it compared to both it's vegan and non-vegan competition. I spread a bit on some Wheat Thin crackers and noticed it's slight tang and creamy, smooth texture. Off to a great start! I then went back and forth on whether I wanted to make a dip with it or just spread it on bagels and then it struck me that what I really wanted to do with it was to make Jalapeño Poppers! I will admit to unabashedly eating them as a meal pre-vegan and missing them over the past two or so years. I have attempted them once veganized, baked and they did not hit the spot. The fillings in others usually call of other ingredients to be added to the cream cheese which isn't how I remember them being. I needed a cream cheese that actually tasted like cream cheese in order to do it though and now I finally had it in my possession! Well today was the day and they have been quickly enjoyed. They were definitely a success and it's all thanks to Galaxy Vegan Cream Cheese and another one of my new favourite ingredients The Vegg!




I didn't exactly write down a recipe but I can share with you my approximate amounts and instructions any ways in case you get your hands on some and want to try these! If anything doesn't make sense, just comment or email me and I will help!

Jalapeno Poppers

1 tbsp Vegg powder
1/2 cup soy milk

1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
Pepper

1 cup all purpose flour

8 jalapeño peppers, halved, seeds and ribs removed
1 pkg Galaxy Vegan Cream Cheese

Oil for frying, I used grapeseed

1. Using a small blender (I used my spice mill), combine Vegg powder and soy milk and blend until well mixed and thick. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.

2. Combine panko with the spices/seasonings in another small bowl, set aside.

3. Complete your breading station by putting the flour into yet another small bowl and you guessed it...set aside.

4. Using a small spoon, fill the jalapeños with the cream cheese. To bread them, first roll each popper in the flour, dip in the Vegg yolk mixture, then press and roll each popper in the panko breadcrumbs until they are completely covered. Place on a plate until you are ready to fry them.

5. Start to heat your oil in a pot or pan. I use a wok-like frying pan with higher sides but only fill it with enough oil so the poppers were about half covered in oil. I didn't put a thermometer in it or anything, I just heated it until it was shimmering and tested it by putting a popper in and it bubbled around the perimeter of it right away. Fry them in batches of four to six depending on the size of the pot/pan you are frying in until golden brown, flipping as you start to see the edges brown. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel on a cooling rack to get some of the oil off. Serve and enjoy!


P.S. This is my honest opinion of both Galaxy Cream Cheese and The Vegg! I paid for them myself and wasn't asked or offered any compensation for my review...it's just my two cents!

7 comments:

  1. I've been having such a hankering for a vegan version of these recently - thanks for reading my mind and posting such a gorgeous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you could make these for me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could make those poppers, they sound so awesome. But we hardly get fresh jalapenos here. But I'll keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's crazy! I always think of them as being something everyone could get since they are so readily available here! Hope you find some and treat yourself to these!

      Delete
  4. Holy cow Kelly. I'm drooling on my keyboard. Totally love jalapeno poppers and your look perfectly golden crunchy!

    ReplyDelete